Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Greener cleaning

When I found out that I was having a baby, I went a little crazy and threw out everything in my house that was toxic. That meant I had to start from scratch with all of my cleaning supplies. After some research, as well as trial and error, I've realized that it is totally unnecessary to use any toxic cleaning products. Here is what I've tried and what I use.

Products that I've tried:
Method all-purpose cleaners, bathroom cleaning wipes, dish soap
Seventh Generation automatic dishwasher soap
Clorox Green Works all purpose cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner
Trader Joe's dish soap, automatic diswasher soap, castille soap
Charlie's soap (laundry detergent)

I actually haven't had a problem with any of the products listed above. I like the scents available with the Method cleaners (mmmm... pink grapefruit). Both the Seventh Generation and Trader Joe's dishwasher soap worked well getting my dishes clean. Not crazy about the scents with Clorox Green works but I do like their toilet bowl cleaner. No complaints about Charlie's soap.

All that is well and good, but buying the greener versions of cleaning products can be expensive. I do keep some on hand, but for the most part I make my own. I've already shared my recipes for laundry soap and dishwasher detergent. Here is what I use to clean everything else.

All-purpose cleaner (for sinks, floors, windows, mirrors, etc.):
1 part water
1 part white vinegar
10 drops of essential oil (I like a combo of tea tree, lavendar, and orange)

Toilet cleaner:
sprinkle in about 1/4 c. baking soda
add 1/4 c. white vinegar and scrub with toilet brush while it fizzes

Tub cleaner:
same as toilet cleaner but I use a sponge instead.

I also use my all-purpose cleaner to clean the baby's toys-- it works as a mild disinfectant.

Now go GREEN your cleaning!

No comments: