Saturday, August 9, 2008

Zucchini anyone?


My parents keep trying to pawn off zucchini on us--as usual they planted WAY too much. I do like zucchini, but there is only so much boiled squash I can make my husband eat before he starts whining. For those of you who have the zucchini overload like us, here are some ways to use it up (some of these even work for the ones that resemble baseball bats!)

*Zucchini parmesan (you can make it just like the eggplant variety)
*sauteed zucchini with sweet onion in olive oil, then topped with fresh basil and grated parmesan
*Zucchini bread/muffins--there are lots of good recipes out there (my fav. is listed below)
*add zucchini to soup
*ratatouille (great for using up tomato overload as well)
*for big ugly zucchini, grate it up, and then you can use it fresh or freeze it to use later

I also thought this was hilarious, but I'm a day late--oh well, maybe next year!
Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night

Stef's favorite zucchini muffins
Makes 12

3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. plain yogurt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. shredded zucchini, drained a little bit, especially if using frozen
1/4 c. raisins and/or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease 12 muffin cups. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients (except zucchini, raisins and nuts) in separate bowls, then add dry to wet and mix until batter forms. Fold in zucchini/raisins/nuts. Bake 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks for the Blogging the Recession comment. Came by to visit & found your zuchinni post - prefect timing! I getting a lot in my farm share bag lately! I'm def. going to try your muffin recip as I've yet to find one that everyone likes. Thanks!