Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Are you a Diva?

Warning to any men that may read this: this post contains girly vagina information not suitable for men of any age. Stop reading. Seriously, this is more info. than you would ever want to know.

After 16 blissful months without Aunt Flo, she has returned full force and I've finally gotten to try out my Diva Cup. I have to say I'm totally impressed. For those of you who are unaware of this fantastic little invention, here's the scoop:

The Diva Cup is inserted like a tampon, but instead of absorbing your monthly blood flow, it catches the blood in a cup and can be emptied out, then re-inserted. It comes in two different sizes (pre-baby is size 1 and post-baby is size 2). According to the Diva Cup website, they should be replaced every year, but as long as it is sterilized and cared for, I'm guessing they would be ok for about 3 years.
I got mine for just under $20 which is a great deal, considering how much money I will save over the next few years not having to buy tampons. Well, let's go ahead and see just how much money I'll save (this is really an estimate since tampon preferences differ as well as how heavy/long a person's period is...).
Let's say I can get an economy pack of 100 regular tampons for about $15. On average a person bleeds for about 5 days and changes their tampon every few hours, so about 6 per day. That's 30 tampons for each monthly period.
30 tampons x 12 months = 360 tampons x 3 years = 1080 tampons
so for 3 years I would need to buy about 11 boxes of tampons at $15 = $165
SAVINGS from buying a Diva Cup = $145
Even if you replace your Diva cup each year, you could still save about $40 per year!
Monetary savings aside, there are other reasons to switch to a Diva Cup:
Environmental reasons- less waste, packaging, etc.
Less vaginal dryness/irritation- people with sensitive skin (like me) can appreciate a non-chemical alternative to tampons
Convenience- Diva Cup can be worn for up to 12 hours, and there's no need to send hubby on an embarrassing trip to the pharmacy

Get your Diva Cup!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just started using this too! I found that the first couple of times I used it, it leaked a little. But now it doesn't really leak at all. I think there is definitely a learning curve in how to put it in! My favorite part is that I only have to empty it twice a day!